64bit with 32bit clients

Asmo Koskinen asmo.koskinen at arkki.info
Thu Jul 9 15:57:38 BST 2009

Tom Atkins kirjoitti:

> Should I install 64bit edubuntu and then build 32bit client images? Will
> this make full use of 8gb RAM?

You can use 32-bit server if you like or 64-bit server if you like,
Linux kernel can handle everything in both architectures.

Friend of mine use 8 cores with 32G mem. Linux i386 kernel. No problems.
Here right after installation:

http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP5/htop_8_32.jpg

- Ubuntu Alternate 8.04 i386

- Dell PowerEdge 2900 III server
- 2 x 4 Core 2,33 GHz intel Xeon
- MEM 32G
- 2 x 160G/hardware-RAID

I use 6G mem with 2 x 2 Core Xeon/Ubuntu 8.04 i386, I have two servers
in same network/setup:

http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP5-Mantykangas/htop-master.png
http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP5-Mantykangas/htop-slave.png

So how much mem or how many cores is not a issue here, both i386 and
AMD64 LTSP servers can handle everything.

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.