problems pidgin with ltsp server

Fabian Rodriguez Fabian.Rodriguez at canonical.com
Mon Jan 19 21:12:05 GMT 2009

uwe wrote:
> hello everybody,
>
> I have one ltsp 5 server at school and 15 kids. I wanted to introduce
> them to using pidgin via the bonjour protokol for chating with each
> other.
>
> so I was walking around to each kid - one by one - to set there session
> up. after the 10th computer, the kids where not able to connect anymore.
> I don't have the exact error message, but if I remember well it reported
> a socket/port error. also, rebooting the thin clients did not help.
> those who worked also continued to work properly.
>
> I also started pidgin from the terminal to see if there were any further
> error messages appearing but there weren't.
>
> has somebody an idea?

Hi there,

You can start Pidgin from command line without automatically enabling
its configured accounts with:
pidgin -n

You can also start Pidgin in debug mode like this:
pidgin -d

Once in Debug mode, error messages will hint you at any possible plugin
or protocol problem.

The -n option will then let you start Pidgin and correct any problems
(disable a plugin completely, properly configure a protocol, etc).

If you have specific technical questions about Pidgin you can also ask here:
https://answers.launchpad.net/~pidgin-rocks

Cheers,

- --
Fabian Rodriguez, Ubuntu Systems Senior Support Analyst
Canonical Corporate Services, Montreal, QC, Canada
http://landscape.canonical.com