which release to use?

Jordan Erickson jerickson at logicalnetworking.net
Wed Jan 14 17:51:26 GMT 2009

John,

I use Hardy for all of my Ubuntu/LTSP/Edubuntu sites (9 total so far). I
agree with you 100% on your stance regarding sticking with a longer
release cycle. I see no reason to move to Ibex. I did the quick release
cycle thing in the Dapper -> Gutsy days, before I learned about SRUs and
backports. It takes some elbow grease to get new features/bugfixes into
LTS, but that's what we, the community, chime in to accomplish, no? For
example, I am currently involved in SRUing the infamous Firefox 3
entropy issue to Hardy. The fix was released for Jaunty. It actually
kinda makes me laugh to even hear about Jaunty, but IANAP and obviously
they need to think way further ahead than I do in regards to releases.

Take a look at these links for more information. Again, IMHO, and with
administrating 9 *buntu LTSP sites, Hardy is the sensible, sane choice.
Nobody that administrates a larger number of systems has time for a 6
month release cycle when you're trying to sustain a stable environment.
Luckily, with *buntu, you can choose either route.

http://laserjock.wordpress.com/2008/08/07/sru-needs-you/
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports

Cheers,