I need to install the java, use-old-lib-version, work around, and don't get how to do this

David Groos djgroos at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 00:56:16 GMT 2009

Hi All,

I've needed to improve java performance on my LTSP clients because key apps
for my students are java-based.  Actually, only one app is stand-alone:
CmapTools (http://cmap.ihmc.us/conceptmap.html), the other is an amazing
collection of web apps:
http://phet.colorado.edu/simulations/index.phpthough they can be
downloaded individually and run standalone, too.

I read the series of instructions here
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ia32-libs/+bug/277069.  Some
describe how to solve the issue though I look at the download page in 1
reference and there are several files--sorry I don't get it and not sure how
to implement).

Also, there is the issue of the workaround being reset back to the Hardy
file during an update and a couple of workarounds.  The idea that made most
sense to me for that issue on the above page was the following, but again, I
didn't know how to implement it nor were there any comments that it was a
good idea or not by others...

> To use an older version of libX11, I would suggest to unpack it in
> a different place, and use the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment veriable
> to point your executables to that place. That way, you don't have
> to fight the package system.
>
> For example:
>
> dpkg-deb -x ~//libx11-6_1.1.1-1ubuntu4_amd64.deb
> /usr/local/foo/libx11-6-6_1.1.1-1ubuntu4_amd64
> export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/foo/libx11-6-6_1.1.1-1ubuntu4_amd64/usr/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
>
> Vincent.

Any help this weekend would be great.  Thanks!

David