Help! Would you recommend running ltsp on Ubuntu 8.04 or 8.10?

john lists.john at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 18:17:11 GMT 2009

Hi all,

I've been trying to migrate from 7.04 to 8.04 since last fall. I can
only do it during downtime at our school. I have this week while kids
are on break to try and get the new system in.  My problem is that  I
can't seem to scale the LTSP installation based on 8.04 past 6-8 thin
clients before the server crashes. The server is running 16 gigs ram/
AMD 64 image with Ntavo 6030 thin clients each with 512M ram. The thin
clients are rolled with the i386 image.

I can't find anything in the logs that shows me where the problem
lies.  I've been running 7.04 successfully for a couple of years now
so I feel like the problem lies with 8.04 somewhere. I am trying to
decide whether to can 8.04 and begin working on 8.10.  Or perhaps
retry 8.04 under 32 bit with the Server-Image kernel for larger memory
support. Can any one give me some guidance? Did you make 8.04 work
just fine (if so did you do it under 32 or 64) or did you end up going
for the latest and the greatest?  All things being equal I'd prefer to
run 8.04 since it'll be supported till 2011.

Thanks for any advice.

John