LTSP5 and openLDAP, first draft in finnish

Asmo Koskinen asmo.koskinen at arkki.info
Thu Feb 5 20:42:18 GMT 2009

Asmo Koskinen kirjoitti:

> In real world it is very important keep Ubuntu/Gnome/programs in very
> same version.

I have now ltsp5 and openldap with ssl:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SecuringOpenLDAPConnections

My journey has ended for a while ;-)

tcp 0 0 ubuntu-openldap:nfs ubuntu-eee:852 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 ubuntu-openldap:ldaps ubuntu-eee:47748 ESTABLISHED

----

Ubuntu 8.10 AMD64 has problems when I first login as a thin client and
then try to login with 8.10.

.xsession-errors:

"/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
Setting IM through im-switch for locale=fi_FI.
Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to
/etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
Could not get password database information for UID of current process:
User "???" unknown or no memory to allocate password entry

Failed to start message bus: Memory allocation failure in message bus
EOF in dbus-launch reading address from bus daemon"
----

When I do the same login process with Eee, first as a thin client and
then second time with UNR I have of course messed desktop, but I can
login with no problem.

So it is best to keep all in the very same Ubuntu version, thin clients
and fat clients.
----

I will re-write my finnish howto to the something like this - like Lego
bricks upon each other.

1. one server  - ltsp5
2. two servers - ltsp5+nfs
2. two servers - ltsp5+openldap+nfs
3. two servers - ltsp5+openldap+nfs+ssl
4. netbook as a thin client and a wlan desktop
5. laptop as a thin client with local apps and a wlan desktop

And then I ask someone here in Finland to translate it and put it in the
UbuntuLTSP-page.

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.