mass account creation in LTSP fatclient

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 19:11:47 GMT 2009

I want to echo Asmio's sentiments.. Webmin got a bit of a bad rap in
ed/ubuntu circles. It was basically considered evil and insecure and
messed with your config files in an irreverible way. Then there were
tej falso rumours of it not being maintained for 2 years (totallyy
untrue) I've been using it for over 2 years from ldap management (u
cannot beat its simplicity for this btw) and for squid, firewall, user
and group creation, quota managemnt... u  name it. The folks in
#ubuntu-devel seem to know what they are talking about and recommended
I install e-box instead, arguing it was less invasive and didnt touch
the configuration files.

Boy was that further from the truth than I had ever imagined. Upon
installation, it basically takes over every service, uninstalling and
installing at will without asking. It then decides to use completely
differenet config files in no way linked to the old ones (so goodbye
command line editting), and worst of all, installs a completely
unfamiliar dashboard that looks more like a a computer wide conrtol
panel with no possibility of it workin along side anything else...

Webmin, is simply a web interface to your existing config files... It
is modular, does its job very well and far from what people say about
it, it is not intrussive and it security is completely controlled by
the user... u dont have to turn it on to the outside world if u dont
want to!

/endrant