mass account creation in LTSP fatclient

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Mon Feb 2 18:43:10 GMT 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've set up LTSP on Intrepid using nubae's fatclient plug-in.
> http://nubae.com/ltsp-linux-terminal-server-project-netbooted-fat-client-for-ubuntu-hardy-and-intrepid
>
> I'd like to populate the server with 40 accounts for my class. What
> are some recommended ways? Should I look into iTALC or something
> similar?
>
> cheers,
> Sameer
> --
> Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
> Associate Professor of Information Systems
> San Francisco State University
> San Francisco CA 94132 USA
> http://verma.sfsu.edu/
> http://opensource.sfsu.edu/

I just chatted with David Van Assche online and here's the conversation:
Sameer

<begin chat>

 me:  got a minute?
 Sent at 10:19 AM on Monday
 David:  oh yeah sure
 me:  I just posted something to the edubuntu-users list... wanted to
ping you on iTALC for fatclient is that something worth looking into?
 Sent at 10:31 AM on Monday
 me:  I also need to set up 40 odd accounts. I usually use the
createusers script for it...do you have any other suggestions?
 David:  yeah sure thing
ub understand how  the accounts are currently managed right?
 me:  yeah.
They are setup on the server and copied into the .img when I run
ltsp-update-image
 Sent at 10:33 AM on Monday
 David:  actuallly even more real time than that, since that procedure
runs in the smae way as lts.conf variables can be changed without
re-running the image
 me:  ok
 David:  so what happens is, u create a user on the server, and then a
little subscript copies over its details and group details to the
client's .passwd. .group and .shadow
 me:  ok
 David:  a cron job synchs the 2 every 5 minutes, but if u need the
account even quicker,l simply reboot the thin client and on startup
its pushed.... or u could execute the synchin script manually
 Sent at 10:37 AM on Monday
 David:  I usually dont  need to add new accounts affter the image
creation process, so to be honest, this hasnt been fully tested,
though Iirc I did test restarting thin client to synch accounts
is that what u meant?
 me:  ok.
I'll test it out and see if it works
If you don't mind I'll send this conversation to the list for archival purposes
 David:  yes please do
 me:  thx
 David:  italc, though, is still great and usable, albeit for different purposes
 me:  yeah, I've read a bit about it, but never used it
 Sent at 10:40 AM on Monday

<end chat>