USB flash drives are visible to everyone

Scott Balneaves sbalneav at legalaid.mb.ca
Mon Feb 2 16:00:01 GMT 2009

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 09:38:19AM -0600, John Hansen wrote:
> We recently upgraded to Hardy, and after updating the chroot, USB drives are
> mounting successfully. However, now anyone logged onto a thin client can see
> other users USB sticks mounted on their desktops. Only the user of that USB
> stick can read the device, but it appears on everyones desktop that is logged in.

> Any suggestions?

Are all your students in the same primary group?  Usually this is what causes
this.  Typically, in modern Linuxes, each user should have their own primary
group the same as their userid.

Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things
Systems Department | are infinitely the most important.