Quick question for enabling NAT in LTSP (or edubuntu) - iptables details

Patrick McKnight pem725 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 13:10:48 BST 2009

Gavin,

Thanks for the reply and feedback.  I did test it out thoroughly on my
two LTSP servers and made sure that just about every different
combination worked.  In fact, the filename declarations at the
beginning of the script allowed me to test on some bogus conf files.
Every combination seemed to work just fine for my two servers.
Regarding the eth1 hard code, I first retrieve the non-LTSP NIC from
ip route and then assign the LTSP NIC to the alternative NIC.  In
short, eth1 is not hard coded.  Now the NIC code will work provided a
server is not configured with multiple NIC's (i.e., eth2, eth3, etc.).
 I did not consider that scenario - perhaps I better.

If others are willing to try it with their NAT'd and non-NAT'd servers
by reassigning the filename declarations to some backed up conf files,
I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again for the feedback.

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Gavin McCullagh<gmccullagh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009, Patrick McKnight wrote:
>
>> Attached is a simple bash script that carries out the procedures
>> listed on enabling NAT on LTSP/Edubuntu servers.  I checked the script
>> out fairly extensively but would love to get some feedback from the
>> community on its overall utility.
>
> Sorry to be so slow coming back to you.  I'm rather busy just now.  I
> haven't read the script in detail but I can certainly see why it would be
> useful.  Nice work!
>
> If you want to put a link to the script in the introduction on that wiki
> page that might be useful.  Please make sure it's throughly tested though
> before unleashing it on everyone.
>
>> Despite the awesome instructions on the ThinClientHowtoNAT, I found NAT
>> to be difficult to setup because each detail is important.  Perhaps I am
>> not very good at following instructions to the letter - a conversation
>> for another time.
>
> I'm not sure if awesome might be overstating it, but hopefully what it does
> is help people to understand the process a little as well as just type all
> the right commands like a trained chimpanzee.  If you're program helps with
> that and doesn't break other things that's great.
>
> One thing I noted was that you had eth1 hard coded as your ltsp interface.
> That's likely to be correct most of the time, but I'm not certain how often
> you can assume.
>
> Gavin

Cheers,

Patrick