Minimum client expectations, LTSP Triage

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sun Sep 14 18:26:55 BST 2008

hi,
On So, 2008-09-14 at 18:59 +0200, ltsp at infoux.com wrote:
> "Certainly, within some small spaces, we may be able to optimize
> things, but the
>    bottom line is, that old 486 with 16 megs of memory simply isn't
> going to work
>    as a thin client any more."
>
> Of course an old 486 with 16 m ram will work as a thin client!! you
sadly the 2.6.xx kernels need about 32M to uncompress and load the
intramfs alone ... 8.10 will solve a bit of that, booting 24M might be
possible with inrepid ibex ...

486 CPUs shouldnt be any prob though as long as you install
linux-image-i386 in the client environment ...

:)

indeed thats nothing to do serious stuff with beyond telnetting or
running a shell driven database frontend ...

ciao
	oli