Is it just me, or is LTSP a mess?

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Wed Sep 10 23:01:07 BST 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 9:23 AM, Jordan Mantha <laserjock at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> So here's what I would do. Before next Wednesday, go to
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/~edubuntu-bugs/+packagebugs<https://bugs.launchpad.net/%7Eedubuntu-bugs/+packagebugs>which lists the
> packages that Edubuntu is tracking the bugs of. You can
> click on individual packages (like ltsp) and see the open bugs. If you
> see a bug you're experiencing you can add information as a comment. If
> you don't see a bug you're experiencing go ahead and file a new bug.
> Keep in mind that we close bugs as they are fixed in the development
> release so a bug may be closed because it's fixed in Intrepid but you
> might still experience it in Hardy. If you find one of those and it's
> really an issue, please let us know and we can add a Hardy task and
> work towards getting a fix in hardy-updates.

Splendid.  Thanks, Jordan.  So this is what the developers need from the
users in order to advance the project and stabilize outstanding issues?  I
doubt that I can make the IRC, but I can do my part at launchpad.

Is the following still the goal of the Edubuntu Project?  If so, perhaps
some 'bugs' may be seen as feature requests or feature clarifications.

"Edubuntu aims to be an Ubuntu variant suitable for classroom use. The aim
is to deliver a turnkey solution that enables time-poor educators with
mid-range technical skills to set up a computer lab and/or establish an
online learning environment with as few clicks as humanly possible, then
administer that environment without having to significantly expand their
technical skills. Centralized management of configuration, users, and
processes together with facilities for working collaboratively in a
classroom setting are its principal design goals. Equally important is the
gathering together of the best available free software and digital materials
for education under one distro.

Edubuntu and Ubuntu are not meant to be seen as distinct projects; Edubuntu
is part of the Ubuntu project, and they are both part of one development
team that contributes to the whole. Edubuntu is Ubuntu with a different
default setup."

from the edubuntu-users mailing list description.

Aloha

--scott