Is it just me, or is LTSP a mess?

Asmo Koskinen asmo.koskinen at arkki.info
Tue Sep 9 19:47:09 BST 2008

kjetil knudsen kirjoitti:

> I see that you are using
> true thin clients that works well. We have a lot of compaq-desktops that
> we use as thin-clients. They all have 128-512 MB ram.

I have tested (very lightly, just here home) different kind of thin
clients. LTSP5 needs good graphic adaptor. Better you have, more you can
get out of LTSP5 and also these new widescreen LCD monitors.

You can see difference.

HP t5125 + 20" LCD (openSUSE need 256 mem for LTSP5, HP t5125 drops out)
http://asmokoskinen.blip.tv/file/1181073/

Asus Eee 701 + 20" LCD
http://asmokoskinen.blip.tv/file/1181115/

> To me it seems like perhaps it is the clients that make some
> kind of wild NFS traffic towards the fileserver when they log on.

On the Ubuntu 6.06+LTSP4.2 I did have /home on the other/third NFS-server.

On the Ubuntu 8.04+LTSP5 I have /home on the master server's second disc
(scsi) and it is mounted (NFS) on the slave server. I do not know is
this good or bad, but now I have only two servers for everything.

Here are my conf files for both servers:

http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP5-Mantykangas/ltsp-master/
http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP5-Mantykangas/ltsp-slave/

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.