how do you kill a user's old processes when they try to log back on

Richard Doyle rdoyle at islandnetworks.com
Mon Sep 1 16:26:27 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 12:34 +0200, Dean Mumby wrote:
> I must say that the move from 7.04 to 8.04 has been very disappointing.
> I have 8 HP t5125 which are 400MHz 128MB ram machines. They ran
> perfectly under 7.04 avoiding heavy websites. Under 8.04 they are
> useless if the user starts multitasking , i.e. having an open office
> document open , email and a remote desktop session the machines just
> freeze. I have tried XRAMPERC to no avail.
We haven't had students pounding on them yet, but version 8.04 on HP
t5125 clients is working decently on the workbench, using
LDM_DIRECTX=True, Firefox 3, Flash 10 beta, and the Openchrome driver.

I miss the smooth youtube videos we had with the proprietary VIA video
driver under Feisty (7.04), but don't miss the crashing Firefox sessions
we had with libflashsupport.

> I actually ended up buying
> newer more expensive terminals. I have however also found ION 603
> (http://www.tss.co.th/downloads/ION-A603%20Overview.pdf) which once you
> get the geode driver working has much better performance , I could
> launch almost all applications at once and watch a full screen movie.
> Only cost R1500 (+/-  $200) .

> There is a serious increase in the thin clients requirements with 8.04.
> I don't believe it is just Firefox , I think there is some other cause ,
> just don't know what. I feel it is the ram I think 8.04 really needs
> 256MB ram.
One of the initial attractions of the thin client model was that we
could extend the life of the network by upgrading server hardware,
without needed to upgrade the clients. I'm beginning to doubt that
model, fearing that these underpowered clients will be unusable sooner
than expected.