system crawling....

Luis Montes monteslu at cox.net
Thu Oct 2 15:17:59 BST 2008

Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 01 Oct 2008, Luis Montes wrote:
>
> Agreed.  Can you look back through /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages
> during the time and see if there's anything that might indicate the source
> of the issue?
>
> One possibility might be a rogue process hogging all system RAM which
> eventually might have been killed by the kernel (that kill would be
> logged).  There are many more possibilities though.

Looks like there's been over 5000 errors like this:
 "Oct  1 09:32:24 192.168.0.61 kernel: [152372.345437] end_request: I/O
error, dev nbd0, sector 200314"
 since yesterday morning.

> As far as I know, in LTSP5 gdm is not needed.  It was in LTSP4 because gdm
> was what the clients connected to.  However, as the client runs its own
> display manager and starts a session over ssh, I don't think gdm running
> is necessary.  Presumably you've observed something that makes you think it
> is?
>
> Gavin

GDM hanging definitely stops the thin clients from booting up. This is a
little harder for me to debug because I don't yet quite get exactly how
the new event based launcher works.
What happened monday was that apparently X stopped liking (maybe there
was an update) my server's ATI ES 1000. I finally was able to switch to
framebuffer and that got passed "Starting Gnome display manager", which
then allowed some other service to start which allowed the thin clients
to boot.

Luis