system crawling....

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 17:22:23 BST 2008

Hi,

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008, Luis Montes wrote:

> I have a school that's been down now for 2 days. It's an 8.04 edubuntu
> setup. Single server (8 core, 16 GB ram, 32 bit server kernel). Just
> using local user accounts and homes.
>
> The thing is taking a couple of minutes to authenticate.  I just spent a
> day getting the server passed "starting gnome display manager" by
> switching to the frame buffer for X.

Is it always the same amount of time or does it seem like you're waiting
for a busy system to respond?

> Now, even on the server itself it takes a very long time authenticate,
> and even sudo times out.
>
> Something must have changed on an update.  We can't go another week of
> having the whole school down.

Can you login to the text terminal on the server (press <Ctrl><alt><F1>)
and run the commands "uptime" and free and send us the output.  Is the disk
light on the machine flashing a lot?

If you run "top", are there programs hogging the cpu?