Convincing a school district to migrate from OS X to Ubuntu or Edubuntu

uwe uwe.geercken at datamelt.com
Tue Nov 18 10:37:00 GMT 2008

David,

I started from scratch here in Germany. A little town of 3000 people. As
I couldn't touch the windows computers, I bought the parts, build a
server and started to run edubuntu. now version 8.04 runs very nice and
I am quite happy.

If at your end of the world the people always want to have the latest
stuff, then you have a good argument for edubuntu: install it once and
use it everywhere. you are very quick; show this to somedoby. they will
be astonished.

my other argument is always: give the kids another choice. doesn't
matter what they use in the end, what they like better or prefer, but
they will have the choice to decide for that what suits them best, what
they like most. I believe that is important.

and then all I can wish you is: patience. for me all is going to slow
but my wife tell's me I am moving fast - I guess that's einsteins theory
on relativity... I am sometimes impatient.

I have to go for my classes this morning and see into the happy eyes of
my kids (~10 years old, 15 of them) when I teach them linux

rgds,

uwe