Java performance awful, any ideas?

Todd O'Bryan toddobryan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 14:44:27 GMT 2008

Ubuntu 8.04 with the LTSP package. The clients are NTAVO's from Devon IT.

I'm trying to run BlueJ (http://www.bluej.org), a fairly modest Java
IDE for students. It runs fine on the servers, on my Ubuntu laptop and
desktop, but on the clients it's as slow as molasses.

The weird thing is that I've checked all the usual culprits. The
server has two dual-core CPUs, and all four cores are only showing
around 25% usage. Of the 8G of RAM, only about half is being used and
there's no swap usage. The clients have 100Mbps to a switch with 1Gbps
upload to the server.

I'm starting to suspect that it's a video issue, but I'm not sure
where to start debugging that. Anybody have any ideas where to look?
It's starting to make my AP Computer Science students think badly of
Linux.

Todd