Edubuntu-Ltsp-Server-Installation not for beginners?

Reiner Schmid reischmid at gmx.de
Mon Nov 10 18:58:01 GMT 2008

Hello,

I worked with all versions of Edu-Terminalservers (Dapper, Edge, Feisty,
Gutsy, Hardy). And now I installed a new Intrepid-Terminalserversystem
with the alternate-CD and the Edubuntu-Addon-CD.
I think there are more possibilities in Edubuntu than ever (like Italc
and localapps), but on the other side it is more difficult to build up a
new ltsp-server (Intrepid!) for beginners.

The installation (alternate-CD) of the new coded personal folder makes
problems for loging in for other user on the clients. The new
network-manager is fine for a desktop-PC, but it disturbs the
installation of the two network cards of my server. So I had to remove
the network manager package and I had to change manually the files for
networking and DNS. Also the avahi-autoip seems to disturb the functions
of the terminalserver-system. So I removed it, too.
In future I want to show other teacher how easy it is to build up the
Edu-Terminalserver-System. But now I think you need good experience  to
manage teh installation. The manual  is too old, the first steps  not
sufficient for a beginner, the needed informations are hidden in the
Wiki or ..?.
Reiner