LTSP 8.10

francois francois.barillon at free.fr
Wed Nov 5 22:22:32 GMT 2008

Le mercredi 05 novembre 2008 à 13:06 -0800, Joseph Hartman a écrit :
> Hi all, I am trying to use Xubuntu 8.10 as an LTSP server and with
> this new network manager in xfce I can't figure out how to setup the
> second NIC (the one connecting to the switch) correctly.
>
> I tried changing the eth0 card from automatic (DHCP) to manual and
> then added 192.168.0.1 as the IP address and 255.255.255.0 as the
> subnet mask, but then I have to put something in for the gateway
> before I can click "OK". I tried putting in 0 for the gateway and that
> let me proceed, but then when I check on the settings again it has my
> gateway as 0.0.0.0 and my subnet mask as 24. Trying this setup my thin
> clients aren't booting even though the connection information says
> both cards are active and even after I sudo ltsp-update-sshkeys. When
> I restart the computer all the settings for eth0 are reset to
> automatic (DHCP) too. Can anyone help me just set this second NIC card
> to 192.168.0.1 and keep it that way? Thanks -joe

I did'nt try ltsp on 8.10 yet but as far as I know, you have to use eth0
for thin-clients network and eth1 for the internet because dhcp3-server
has a start-on test on eth0.

I use this little script to ensure dhcp is running.

I had no problem with leaving the gateway field blank.

Hope it could help,

François