Towards a simpler desktop environment: What is the current state of the art?

Kai Wüstermann k.wuestermann at gmx.de
Wed May 28 13:57:17 BST 2008

Moin John!

Am Dienstag, den 27.05.2008, 10:52 -0700 schrieb john:

> Does anyone have a recipe for simplifying and locking down student desktops.
> Does anyone have experience with KDE/Kiosk Tool and would anyone
> recommend this over the gnome environment?
> How can I get _complete_ control over the user environment?

XFCE does have a kiosk mode.
http://www.xfce.org/documentation/4.2/manuals/xfce4-session?PHPSESSID=1133097153276cc46e1afd7d8be82392

It seems to be easy to install, because it's on Xubuntu.
It looks like Gnome.
It only uses 32mB per user.

New software from ubuntu sometimes is not shown in the users menu.

If the kiosk mode contains all you want i'm not shure.

Kai Wüstermann