no sound with Audacity

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Tue May 27 16:03:12 BST 2008

Hi,

On Tue, 27 May 2008, Uwe Geercken wrote:

> I prepared a lesson at home today, to get the kids familiar with
> audacity, which I had promised them already a while ago.
>
> unfortunately when I came into the classroom I had to find out, that
> there is no sound when I click on play on the thin clients.

According to the PulseAudio wiki, audacity doesn't have support for
PulseAudio or esound and you have to talk direct to Alsa on desktops.
This suggests that it's unlikely to be able to play sound on thin clients
at all, though refers to an old version of audacity.

	http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#Audacity
	http://www.linux.com/feature/119926

However, apparently on Hardy, some people have managed to get this to work
now in Hardy:

	https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio#head-66e5312f0478edd768dde4dbe4cad80cc22d957e