Sabayon not working in Hardy

Jordan Mantha mantha at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 31 20:01:39 BST 2008

Richard Doyle wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 03:58 +1300, Krsnendu dasa wrote:
<snip>
>> Has anyone tried edubuntu-menus? Sounds like it would do part of what
>> I want.
> As far as I can tell, edubuntu-menus was never implemented, but you can
> do much of what it proposes with alacarte.

edubuntu-menus is roughly implemented. There is a bug in the Gutsy
package that I've fixed in Hardy where it messes with non-menu stuff in
/etc/xdg/ such as autostart stuff. If people want I can give them
details on how to fix it. The only real problem (and it's a big one
really) with edubuntu-menus is that there's no easy way to edit the
menus. I created the menus by hand. It's not that difficult but requires
some knowledge of how the menu system works, and again if anybody needs
some help doing that I'm happy to help. But, we don't have a good way of
using a gui to edit the menus.

The idea behind edubuntu-menus is to have a way for teachers and school
admins to give each student a customized menu by adding them to
different groups. So an elementary school student might be added to the
edubuntu-basic group only and so they have a single menu (no submenu) of
essential apps without getting lost in the apps for the older students.
A secondary student taking science classes could be added to the
edubuntu-science and edubuntu-basic groups and get science apps in
addition to the basic menu.

> One thing to watch out for though, is that users can modify their own
> menus via a right-click. Edubuntu actually uses a different menu editor
> for this, named gmenu-simple-editor. If you lock down alacarte to keep
> users from modifying their own menus, you must also lock down
> gmenu-simple-editor.

I believe Edubuntu uses the same editor as Ubuntu (alacarte) although I
believe if alacarte is not available Gnome tries to use
gmenu-simple-editor so that would be why you would need to lock down both.

-Jordan