Parental control & whitelisting in a classroom

Harry Sweet hsweet at gcsny.org
Wed Mar 26 14:36:12 GMT 2008

One way to do this would be to use Firestarter.  You can set a white list pretty easily.  You can disable the firewall or the rules, but it is global for the whole system.  I don't know how to disable that on a per-user basis.

>>> Sergio Dicandia <sdicandia at yahoo.com> 03/25/08 4:17 PM >>>
Hi,

I'm starting an Edubuntu lab in a primary (K12) school in Italy, with a P4/3Ghz server and ten PIII/800 thin clients.
Kids just need - and teachers want - to access just a bunch of controlled sites (less than 10, a sort of whitelist of allowed sites), blocking all the rest of the Internet.
It's a slightly restrictive approach, but at the moment that's what we have to do.

Is there a simple way to do it, without building a squid+dansguardian box ?

It would be also nice to allow teachers to access the whole Internet: that should be depending on the users logging in (kids just use 10 different users, named after the PC they're working on).

Thanks in advance,
Sergio