Advice on a good LTSP switch

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Mar 18 15:53:32 GMT 2008

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 19:44:37 -0700, Joseph Hartman wrote
> Hi all, I'm looking to purchase a switch for about 30 thin clients and need
> some advice. I originally placed an order for this Netgear:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122082
>
> but then I saw this 3com on sale:
> http://www.ictcompany.com/store/products.php?id=529&pt=1
>
> Which one should I get? Or will either of these even be adequate? I'm not
> looking to do any really demanding activities in this lab, mostly they will
> be used for Internet research, to access Google
> Docs/Spreadsheets/Presentations and various flash applications, but I still
> want the machines to be quick and I'm prepared to spend a little more if
> need be. Thanks -joe

I guess advice on a "good switch" is a little different than advice on switches that
work.   I have had no problems using cheap unmanaged Dell switches.  If your looking for
an excellent amount of features, with a great warranty and mid range cost, then HP
ProCurve are very good.

As far as LTSP goes just make sure you have switches with GB uplinks and 100MB to the
clients.  Run at least gigabit from the server to your switches and gigabit between the
switches.  If you follow those rules any switch should work great.

Jim