Excessive SSH Tunnel/Traffic

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 09:19:21 GMT 2008

Hi,

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, Jim Kronebusch wrote:

> > I guess it depends on how much traffic
> > "excessive" is.
>
> Along this line I was recommended a tool for monitoring traffic in and
> out of the server a while ago by Gavin called ibmonitor
> (http://ibmonitor.sourceforge.net/).  If you want to verify exactly how
> much traffic the clients are generating you could install this on the
> server and monitor you ethernet ports with it.  You could post the
> results to let others decide if this is a normal amount of traffic or if
> you indeed do have something wrong.

An alternative to this which I've been pondering, is munin.  The idea being
that the server (or another server) could run the munin monitoring/graphing
software and the ltsp chroot could be running munin-node (or perhaps
snmpd?).

http://munin.projects.linpro.no/

This would give us memory usage, cpu usage, network bandwidth and other
information from each thin client individually.  This would hopefully be a
big help in diagnosing problems on thin clients.  There would probably be
some tricks involved in automatically monitoring all thin clients (you
might need to set up static ips?).

http://munin.ping.uio.no/