Fwd: smbldap on Hardy

Krsnendu dasa krsnendu108 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 00:39:07 GMT 2008

On 06/03/2008, Krsnendu dasa <krsnendu108 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/03/2008, Jim Kronebusch <jim at winonacotter.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Jim's howto seems to address the ldap side only and not the smb side.
> > > After installing smbldap using the Matt's installer, what changes
> > should I
> > > make?
> > > Should I just uninstall smbldap and follow Jim's how to?
> > >
> > > I am a bit confused how to proceed from here. Any help gladly
> > accepted.
> >

> > I wrote that howto mainly to focus on those who want LDAP only and don't
> > want to muddy
> > things up with smb.  I'm sure that with the new integrated support in
> > Hardy for ldap
> > authentication many things have changed for the smb/ldap installer that
> > haven't yet been
> > worked out.  If I remember right I think I saw Matt Oquist stating
> > somewhere that
> > hopefully by this version smb/ldap integration into the os would negate
> > the need for a
> > tool such as smb/ldap.  But I don't know if this is the case yet.  I'd
> > contact David
> > Trask or Matt Oquist and ask them where the smb/ldap installer is in
> > relation to Hardy
> > and maybe even Gutsy.
> >
> > Jim
>

> I seem to have it working now. I can connect to ldap server and add groups
> and users.
>
> Two problems and their solutions are listed below.
>
> a. Stop the computer from freezing before the graphical login screen comes
> up.
>
> Edit /etc/ldap.conf and change the following lines like so:
> 	#host 127.0.0.1
> 	uri ldap://127.0.0.1/
> Edit /etc/libnss_ldap.conf and change the following lines like so:
> 	#host 127.0.0.1
>
> 	uri ldap://127.0.0.1/
> 	bind_policy soft
>
> Test using:
> ldapsearch -x -b dc=hkschool,dc=dyndns,dc=ws
>
> b. Set up smbldap to automatically allocate id numbers.
> (The script was complaining that it couldn't find the object that gives the next id number.)
>

> run #sudo smbldap-populate
>

> I hope this is helpful for someone. I might have left out something. I
> have been trying a few things over the last day or so, but I think the
> essential points are given above.
>
> So now I should be ready to go on Hardy.

I have found and issue that slapd is not always running. Sometimes smbldap
does not connect.
#/etc/init.d/slapd start fixes that temporarily.

It is set up under services. I'm not sure what is causing this. I could set
up a tab to check if it is running and start it if it is not, but that
shouldn't be necessary.