New thin client Edubuntu lab

Charles Austin ceaustin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 16:53:36 GMT 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 8:10 AM, Barb Tabor <btabor at btownccs.k12.in.us> wrote:

> Hello. We are going to be purchasing 30 new computers and a server for a new
> Edubuntu thin client lab.
> I am wondering if anyone can make suggestions on what the best equipment
> would be to do this.
> The lab will mostly be used by grades K-5 using the Internet for research,
> educational activities, word processing/printing and Renaissance Place.
> Any suggestions are welcome.
> Thanks.

Here is what we did for a similar sized project.
Server:
Dual core CPU
8GB RAM
4 SATA Hard Drives, 250GB in a RAID 10 configuration
Motherboard with dual on-board 10/100/1000 NICs
Cheap video card
Standard peripherals
-I focused on RAM and Ethernet Speed as the two most important factors
for the server

Clients:
Cheap CPU
1 GB RAM
On-board 10/100 NIC, On-board Video card
Standard peripherals (hard drive, keyboard, etc.)
High-end power supply and CPU fan (if all these computers are in one
room, fan noise is a big deal)

Switches:
Cisco 2950T (the ones with two copper Gigabit ports)

We used the vanilla 7.10 Server and Thin Client set-up, even though
the client PCs will handle Thick Client duty.  The thin client model
is much easier to administer (one machine to keep updated, no need for
LDAP, etc).

Why spend any money on the client?  For us, it was a hedge against the
future.  From recent posts, it looks like the "low-fat" clients of
recent posts will be perfect for our environment.  And who knows, we
may decide to use LDAP and true thick clients someday soon.

I would echo the earlier post about getting help to put the machines
together, my 5th Grader was more than capable of assisting with
assembly.  Get a few parents to "help" their kids do it.  Most adults
can put a machine together once you show them the proper procedure.

Hope that helps,
Charles