Stripped-Down 7.04

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 18:11:10 GMT 2008

Hi,

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008, Jim Kronebusch wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:41:52 -0800, Mike White wrote
> > I'll be short. What is the near-most stripped down configuration I can
> > give Edubuntu 7.04?

> > I am only using Edubuntu to PXE boot into MS Terminal Service 2003, so
> > I only need the Terminal Server Client program and sometimes Mozilla
> > Firefox. I don't need games, printing services, nor development
> > programs, etc.

One approach woukd be to install the server edition and then install the
ltsp packages for the client, openssh-server, gnome-rdp.

Does rdesktop run on the server or have you installed it into the client
chroot?  If it runs on the server, you're sending traffic

	windows <-> edubuntu server <-> thin client

whereas if you installed rdesktop straight into the chroot, you could have
rdesktop run on the thin client and directly contact the windows server:

	windows <-> thin client

which would likely a bit better.  LTSP kiosks do this, but run firefox on
the thin client instead of rdesktop. Installing rdesktop on the client and
having it run automatically should be easy enough on 7.04 actually.  We do
this to provide web terminals without accounts on the server.

> > I have already uninstalled Evolution, Thunderbird, Openoffice, and some
> > games. I did this just out of maintenance and noticed the general speed
> > of the clients is MUCH faster. I'd like to go supersonic if possible. =)

I've got to say, that makes very little sense to me.  If the programs are
sitting idle on the server disk, removing them may save disk space, but it
won't save any RAM or cpu so there's no real reason this would make
anything faster.

"Installing programs slows down your computer" is an old windows wives
tale.  It has some truth on windows (where programs like winzip, office,
realplayer, etc. frequently autostart in the background and several
filesystems have severe fragmentation issues), but it really shouldn't be
true on linux in general.

Come to think of it, evolution does autostart some calendar component by
default so perhaps that's an exception and explains your speed gains.
Removing most programs should make little or no difference though.

A small word of warning though.  Upgrades can occasionally be a little
troublesome where you break from the standard package (ie you uninstalled
the edubuntu-desktop meta-package if you removed evolution).

> Ubuntu JeOS might be what you are looking for.

Maybe, though I'm not sure how well it works in non-virtualised
environments.

  "JeOS is a specialized installation of Ubuntu Server Edition with a tuned
   kernel that only contains the base elements needed to run within a
   virtualized environment."

just sort of sounds like it might be missing components needed on real
hardware.