Lockdown Clients

Joseph Hartman jlhartman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 20:02:40 BST 2008

The best solution I've found for this is the kiosk mode in XFCE:
http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/kiosk_mode

Here is what my kioskrc file looks like:

> [xfdesktop]
> UserMenu=aeinstein
> CustomizeBackdrop=aeinstein
> CustomizeDesktopMenu=aeinstein
> CustomizeWindowlist=aeinstein
> CustomizeDesktopIcons=aeinstein
>
> [xfce4-panel]
> CustomizePanel=aeinstein
>
> [xfce4-session]
> CustomizeSplash=aeinstein
> CustomizeChooser=aeinstein
> CustomizeLogout=aeinstein
> CustomizeCompatibility=aeinstein
> Shutdown=aeinstein
> CustomizeSecurity=aeinstein

This locks down everything for all users except user "aeinstein"

I wanted a custom backdrop on all the student computers so I made one in
GIMP, named it "xubuntu-jmak.png" and saved it in usr/share/xfce4/backdrops

I also wanted a custom homepage for all the student computers so I created a
file called "user.js" in usr/lib/firefox-3.0/defaults/profile with this
code:

user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://www.aeacs.org");
> user_pref("browser.startup.homepage_reset", "http://www.aeacs.org");

The custom homepage only works for users who have never logged on before
though.

I haven't tried KDE's kiosk mode yet, but this one works great and Xubuntu
is stellar on our older hardware. Cheers! -joe

Subject: Lockdown Clients
We're testing out the new 8.04 release of Edubuntu and I would like to know
the best way to lockdown the clients. I installed the lockdown editor, but
that appears to lockdown only the desktop you are logged into and it seems
anyone can change the lockdown settings. Is there away to add client
machines to a group and then lock them down?

I'm a newbie at this so any help would be greatly appreciated!