Software Raid

Uwe Geercken uwe.geercken at datamelt.com
Thu Jul 31 20:40:55 BST 2008

hello everybody,

the schoolyear is over here in germany and I have taken the server
home for maintenance. I built this server at the beginning of the year
and been teaching linux at our local school to students of 6 to 8th
class.

at the time I setup the system, I have used one harddisk for the
system and one for the home directories of the students. so these are
on seperate drives.

I am now thinking putting in a second drive and use software raid so
that I will have faster reads. my first thought was to use raid for
the system and still have the home folders on a seperate drive. or
maybe I should put home and the system on the same drive and use raid
for both?

could somebody please give me an advice?

rgds,

uwe