looking for sample scripts to tread new server automagically

john lists.john at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 23:13:25 BST 2008

Hi all,

I am working on a script to that will allow some of my co-workers to
tread a new edubuntu installation "automagically". The script, which
is intended to run
on a fresh install of edubuntu, will localize the version to the
particular school, join it to Active Directory, map printers to thin
clients by location etc.

I was wondering if anyone else has setup such a script and would you
be interested in sharing your ideas? I wonder what pit falls you had
to overcome
to turn a generic ltsp install into one particular to a location.

So far I've figured out that my servers have two "classes" of
configuration files. Those that are general to running ltsp on our
domain, and then files which are particular to each instance. I hope
that my script will be able to install both. Here's the classes of
file that I have so far:

General files tweaked to allow join to AD and use of USB devices by AD users:

/etc/pam.d
/etc/nsswitch.conf
/etc/krb5.conf
/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/default/ntpdate
/etc/udev/rules.d/45-fuse.rules

particular to a school:

/etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf
/etc/hostname
/etc/samba/smb.conf
/etc/network/interfaces
/etc/cups/printers.conf
/etc/opera6rc.fixed
/etc/hosts

My script is supposed to work largely by copying the correct files to
the correct location, and testing the join to AD.

What else would you or do you add/change when you setup a new server?

I appreciate your ideas

Thanks!

John