root password for sabayon

john lists.john at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 04:51:35 BST 2008

Hello Barb,

I would advise you to get your active Directory authentication working
before you add Sabayon. At one time, Sabayon didn't work very well
with Active Directory, that may have changed now. Trying to do two
things at once will probably make fixing either issue pretty tough.

Regarding rootly powers:

If you setup the server you can have root privileges by using opening
a terminal and using  the 'sudo' command. You'll be prompted for your
user password,( if someone else setup the server you'll need to get
the username and password from them or restart the server in recovery
mode and set the root password from the command line.)  After your
password is accepted you'll be dropped to a root shell.  From there
you can run sabayon or anything else as root. If you want to set a
password for the root user you can do this by issuing the 'passwd'
command after you are running a shell as root. You'll be prompted to
enter a new root passwd two times. Once the passwd is accepted you can
be root anytime you want by opening a command line typing 'su' and the
password you chose for root.

I recommend you look through the archives on this list here:
http://www.nabble.com/edubuntu-users-f15845.html
or here: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-users/

The nabble link lets you search the list by keyword. Pretty handy.

You may also wish to check out the Ubuntu forums at
http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php
 for more ideas.

Hope this helps.

John