DHCP on 2nic system problem

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 14:16:49 BST 2008

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008, David Ally wrote:

> I know some earlier adopters will have noticed this problem, I install
> Edubuntu classroom server on a system that has 2 nic cards with LTSP
> activated, but it is just not giving out IP addresses to the clients. I
> have followes some links on ubuntu forum etc but now solution yet.
> Please give me a lead on what is happening, i know it is a problem from
> my end, because Edubuntu works!

can you reply with some extra information:

1. run "ps aux |grep dhcpd" and see if the dhcp server is running and on
   what interface, eg.

gavin at robin ~> ps aux |grep dhcpd
gavin    19810  0.0  0.1   3004   764 pts/6    S+   14:13   0:00 grep dhcpd
dhcpd    31979  0.0  0.0   2872   308 ?        Ss   Jul10   0:02 /usr/sbin/dhcpd3 -q -pf /var/run/dhcp3-server/dhcpd.pid -cf /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf eth0

2. Run "/sbin/ifconfig" to check what ip addresses are on what interfaces.

3. The file /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf

If you give us the output of these three, we'll get some idea what your
problem is.