making Edubuntu a bit easier to download: request for tweak on http://www.edubuntu.org/Download page

john lists.john at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 18:22:49 BST 2008

Hello all,

I want to give Olie or somebody some feedback about the download
directions for the LTSP Server install
located at http://www.edubuntu.org/Download. Here's the part that I
think may lead to issues for some downloaders.

Under the section heading titled:

Install Edubuntu Classroom Server (thin client)

   1. Get the Ubuntu 8.04.1 Alternate CD - Don't forget to select the
checkbox for the alternate desktop CD on the download page!

Following the link takes you to
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download and the Ubuntu download
dialog. Here you have the opportunity to choose your edition,

 Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Desktop Edition - Supported to 2011
 Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server Edition - Supported to 2013

and to tick the checkbox that reads" Check here if you need the
alternate desktop CD."

Because I am a little bit dim, I choose the Server edition, after all
I had just come from the page and section entitled "Install Edubuntu
Classroom Server" AND I ticked the box that said "Check here if you
need the alternate desktop". The download I got was indeed the server
addition (despite the fact that I had also ticked "Alternate Desktop),
which doesn't include (AFAIK) the LTSP installation option. I've
realized my mistake and I am now downloading what I hope is the
correct version.

The reason I bother to bring this up is I could imagine this process
being even more ambiguous and lame  for someone for whom English
wasn't the first language or for someone with a very slow internet
connection. If I'd just taken several days to download the ISO I would
feel really bad!

I think this issue could be solved by:

(1) not letting me near computers ever again or
(2) by putting an extra line under the "Install Edubuntu Classroom
Server (thin client)" heading at http://www.edubuntu.org/Download that
says something like:

 1. Get the Ubuntu 8.04.1 Alternate CD - Don't forget to select the
"Desktop Edition" release and tick the checkbox for the alternate
desktop CD on the download page!

Anyway,

my .02

John