Edubuntu and Wireless Internet Connection

Steve Jackson sjxn at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jan 29 22:22:55 GMT 2008

I think I have seen something similar, a long delay caused by waiting for a
DNS time out. I'm assuming you have a wired network for the terminal(s), and
that the wireless interface you describe is for the server to connect to the
internet. Make sure /etc/hosts has correct 127.x.x.x entries for the server
itself, and that the server is using all static addresses, with the gateway
address specified in /etc/network/interfaces and the DNS address specified
in /etc/resolv.conf. It shouldn't have been necessary to disable DHCP on the
wireless router.

Upstream wireless on a LTSP server generally works better if the wireless
settings are managed using /etc/network/interfaces. I uninstall
network-manager from Edubuntu LTSP servers. I also find that it is necessary
to delay bringing the wireless interface up until late in the boot process,
by not including "auto wlan0" (or whatever your interface is called) in
/etc/network/interfaces, and adding "ifup wlan0" to /etc/rc.local, after
"sleep 30" in some cases. This may be because I use WPA on the wireless
network - I never investigated the reason, I just found that this delay
makes it work.

If this doesn't help, perhaps you could clarify your setup for us - post the
contents of /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/resolv.conf, and /etc/hosts for
starters, and the output from 'route'.
Steve