How to mass create users

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Jan 23 19:02:03 GMT 2008

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:33:06 -0800, Joseph Hartman wrote
> I've been reading a lot of recommendations for giving each student their own
> account on the terminal server but I am loathe to go through the user
> creation process dozens of times for each class. Is there a mass user
> creation method I don't know about? Upload a .csv or something? Thanks -joe

I install Webmin on all my servers. The Users and Groups module has a great batch
import/modify/remove feature that works with .csv.  It will show you what format you
need to upload.  Bare minimum will be a username and password.  You then just browse for
the file, upload, and walk away.  Hundreds of users in minutes.

http://www.webmin.com

I hope someday this is built into the Users and Groups module on server installs.

Jim