OpenOffice problem - can open just one session

Sergio Dicandia sdicandia at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 17:48:55 GMT 2008

>Hi,
>
>On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Sergio Dicandia wrote:
>
>> Everything went (almost) fine, except that I have a strange behaviour
 on
>> thin clients: logging on different clients with the same account,
 when I
>> launch OpenOffice Writer, it shows on just one client (not always the
 one
>> I run it from).
>
>This is because openoffice is already running once for that user and it
>won't create a second parallel instance, it will simply open an extra
>window in the first instance.
>
>> The same happens with other apps, but not browsing resources, when I
 get
>> a separate windows for each client. I checked the options and I
 already
>> set them so that it allows different sessions when logging with the
 same
>> account.
>> Of course it makes the whole thing a complete failure, since we need
>> have different clients accessing with the same account and running
>> separate instances of Writer (or other apps).
>
>I would seriously consider creating accounts for each user and if you
>_really_ can't do that, you could create accounts for each thin client.
>This is not a nice way to work at all though.

This was done to avoid creating different users for all the children accessing the computers (more than 400, with a 20% turnover every year, working on 10 thin clients ...): it looked easier to create a generic user per class (for a total of 5 classes), and logging all children with the same account, since they access the lab a class at a time.
Is it so bad having an automatic logon for each thin client ? This would avoid creating a huge number of accounts ... Any trouble you are aware of ?

>If you try to start firefox on two thin clients with the same account
 it
>will usually complain for the same reason -- what happens when two
>instances of firefox have the bookmark file open.
>
>    Instance 1 and 2 start.
>    Instance 1 adds a bookmark and saves bookmarks.
>    Instance 2 adds a bookmark and saves bookmarks.
>
>Now Instance 1's changes are lost.  This is only a small example of how
>messy things can get when two programs work of the same instance.  It's
>true of openoffice and firefox and most other programs.
>
>You really shouldn't log in the same account in multiple places.
>
>Gavin

Thanks a lot