a slightly strange request

Karl Goetz karl at kgoetz.id.au
Wed Jan 23 10:23:07 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-23 at 09:09 +0100, Uwe Geercken wrote:
> funnyly enough, we have the same problem. when I first brought the
> ltsp server in the computerroom, after a while a teacher came in to
> give a lesson (not computer related) and I thought "the server is very
> noisy" and I wanted to shut it down (we were in the initial testing
> phase). It was only then that I realized, that it is the switch that
> is so noisy and after talking to different people they indicated that
> it really disturbs, especially when a test is written in that class.

hi both :)
We have ~ 20 clients attached to a 24port 100mb+2gigabits (either
ethernet or fiber plugs).
100mb has been fine to the clients, thankfully the switch backplane is ~
3.6gb, so we have heaps of room for the clients.

do you put > 100mb over your client links, or would a similar switch
work for you? the one meantioned above is a netgear.
kk

--
Karl Goetz <karl at kgoetz.id.au>