locking down the desktop

Ismael Farfán Estrada sulfurfff at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 21 21:16:51 GMT 2008

« La adolescencia es el periodo de tu vida en el que piensas que la masturbación es algo transitorio. »~ Hombre resigando.

> If ~user/Desktop is owned by root and ~user is owned by user, user can
> delete the Desktop folder and recreate it with their own ownership.
> This is because user has ownership of the parent directory.
>
> 	gavin at chris:~ $ sudo mkdir tmp1
> 	gavin at chris:~ $ ls -la tmp1/
> 	total 8
> 	drwxr-xr-x  2 root  root  4096 2008-01-21 15:12 .
> 	drwxr-xr-x 55 gavin gavin 4096 2008-01-21 15:12 ..
> 	gavin at chris:~ $ rmdir tmp1
> 	gavin at chris:~ $ ls -la tmp1/
> 	ls: tmp1/: No such file or directory
>
> You could make the home directory owned by root, but that would probably
> break a host of other things.
>
> Gavin

Whell, my windows users hardly know what "owner" means, so it may work for me

If it is no possible to lock the desktop...
what about a cron script such that it cleans the desktop directory every day?

the script would change the owner and permission every day and then clean
the desktop as happens with /tmp

the users will have to fight agans a deamon and sooner or later they'll give up...