locking down the desktop

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 15:26:32 GMT 2008

Hi,

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008, Barb Tabor wrote:

> I am having trouble finding out to prevent students from saving to the
> desktop (using Gutsy).  Any suggestions?

It's a slightly strange request -- to not allow them write information to
a folder in their own home directory.  Have you given users their own
accounts, or is it one shared account?

I guess you can probably do it by removing write permissions on the
directory:
	chmod a-w ~<username>/Desktop/

This is something they could undo, but I'm guessing you're just trying to
keep things tidy.  If it's a security issue (?)

The main program which will write to the desktop is probably firefox, so
you can reconfigure firefox to not save to the desktop -- that might be all
you need.