two servers: dhcp priority

Asmo Koskinen asmo.koskinen at arkki.info
Thu Jan 17 19:28:08 GMT 2008

Uwe Geercken kirjoitti:
> as you are talking about dhcp. when you have two dhcp servers in one
> network, which one is picked up first.

I got one system with two ltsp-servers (ubuntu 6.06+ltsp 4.2), both have
dhcp3-server (failover/master/slave). On that network there are 113 HP
t5125/5135 thin clients.

1. Network:
http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP-Valokuvat/LTSP-Mantykangas.png

2. Master server:
http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP-Mantykangas/dhcpd.conf-master.txt

3. Slave server:
http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP-Mantykangas/dhcpd.conf-slave.txt

4. All conf-files for that system:
http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP-Mantykangas/

5. Wiki page in finnish:
http://wiki.ubuntu-fi.org/Ubuntu_6.06_LTSP42

6. A classroom:

http://www.mantykankaankoulu.kokkola.fi/vme/tunninal/tunninal.html

------
Then I got that other system for my own office, there is only one
dhcp-server, Windows dhcp server.

So use only one Windows dhcp server on mixed network, setup in Windows
server:

http://www.arkki.info/howto/Wiki/LTSP5_64/Edubuntu_Classroom_Server_7.10_x86_64_Windows_dhcpd.png

On linux-only network it is possible to use two dhcp servers with
failover system.

------
But I have not tried two Edubuntu Classroom Servers on same network as
failover system. I think it should work same way as my Ubuntu 6.06 +
ltsp 4.2 system. There is something for that:

https://wiki.edubuntu.org/EdubuntuDHCPload-balancingFailover

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.