Advice on getting a computer lab server

Uwe Geercken uwe.geercken at datamelt.com
Tue Jan 15 07:17:23 GMT 2008

Joseph,

this afternoon I will run the first tests with about 6 kids (12/13
years old). I preconfigured the server at home and have tested some
games also. my kids e.g. like to play frozen-bubble. they are really
crazy about it. at the end of the last year, I made a competition with
them and bought some (small) prices. the winner was the one who got to
the highest level. they will also be able to play against each other
now - that will be fun...

other than that, I showed them the basic stuff like moving and copying
files, creating directories, etc. we made some gimp sessions (to
manipulate pictures for a calendar 2008) and we did some
word-processing. I want to continue with them in this direction and
end at scribus, so that we are able to create our own flyer to show
what we are doing in the linux course.

I really like to work with the kids. surprisingly I have more girls
than boys. they are open to new things they learn things quickly and
they do it in their free time.

I will send a summary tonight hopefully, latest tomorrow. I have
created the documentation about the server componentes and how it was
built (18 pages), but it is in german for the moment. I need to find
some time to re-write it in english...

rgds,

uwe