Advice on getting a computer lab server

Kemp, Levi lnkemp at bolivar.k12.mo.us
Fri Jan 11 15:34:34 GMT 2008

I've heard of a few people getting away with SATA as a cheaper
alternative to SCSI. It will perform better than IDE, but it's still
going to be no where near as good as a SCSI setup.

> > I was hoping to use Kino and Blender with the middle
> schoolers at some
> > point in the future, but it isn't a big deal to postpone
> those plans if need be.
>
> Intensive video stuff sounds like something which might not work well.
>
> > In my current lab if I try to run more than about 7 thin
> clients they
> > freeze up just playing flash games or running tuxtyping.
>
> These applications could indicate network bandwidth troubles,
> particularly if they all share, say a cheap 100Mbit hub.

I would have to concur. I don't think a 100Mbit connection to the server
is adequate, because you'd have to think that each of you clients would
only have 10Mbits to use. I'd suggest getting a cheap gigabit card for a
server to try but coming up with a switch with gigabit would prove more
difficult.

> There have also been reports of tuxtype and tuxmath crashing
> thin clients so perhaps that problem is affecting you (one
> which might not go away with bigger hardware).  Seemingly
> turning sound off on the client can remedy this issue (I'm
> not saying that's the answer, but it might help you identify
> the problem).
>
> > Like I said, I have 4GB of Dual Channel DDR RAM so is the
> bottleneck
> > with my 10/100 switch or my P4 CPU? Until now I've thought
> it was the
> > CPU because when I look at the system monitor the CPU maxes
> out pretty quick.
> > (maybe I should bring my c2d in from home and try it out to
> see how it
> > holds up)
>
> I'm afraid it's hard to pinpoint from here.  You need to look
> at ways to measure RAM used (the output of the "free" command
> is a start) and cpu load ("uptime" and "top").  If you have
> some way to measure network load that would also be
> interesting to see.
>
> Munin is a very useful thing for monitoring usage of
> bandwidth, disk, cpu load, ram usage, etc.
>
> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/229
> http://www.howtoforge.com/server_monitoring_monit_munin
>
> > If I want to use the above programs and keep my current curriculum
> > will a single server with 2 dual core xeons and 8 GB RAM be fast or
> > just adequate?  I want the lab to be fast. (obviously I'm
> just asking
> > your opinion here)
>
> If the lab is 30-35 users I would hope so but our usage tends
> to be more sporadic so I don't have enough experience to be
> sure.  A couple of other large installs (Jim K has 70 thin
> clients?) have used several bonded Gigabit interfaces in
> order to give the server >1Gb/sec access to the network.

Our lab functions well with 2 xeons and 3.2gig of ram (32bit) and we
have had 30 students at once on firefox w/ flash, openoffice, and
whatever games they can find under he edutainment. They can even all use
reading counts running on flash. We don't do any heavy video graphics
stuff like blender so I can't say there.