Some trouble with fresh 7.10/ltsp

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 09:38:37 GMT 2008

Hi,

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008, dirk wrote:

> One more thing: there is a Matrox G200 inside, it looks like with only 16M
> VideoRAM.
>
> My problems with this 7.10-Installation:
>
> 1. even at the console with mga-driver the Xserver didn't came up until I
> changed it to vesa. Now only 640x480. Tells me a "plug and play" screen, but its
> a 19" TFT with 1280/1024, 60Hz. I can log in, but don't see a lot of bottom lines.

Can you attach /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log so we can see how
your video card is configured and what errors it's giving.

> 2. really problems with thinclients (they all worked perfect with all the other
> installations) . No GUI. I figured forth and back, have now a working
> 1280/1024,60Hz ThinClient, but not stable.

My first suggestion would be to set X_COLOR_DEPTH=16 in
/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf

What did you figure back and forth?  When you say "Not stable", what
exactly do you mean.

> No I read here something about this "changing to nbd-server. Can somebody give
> me a hit/link why and how to do that?

If you've installed the server from scratch, the nbd server will be set up
already.

> Okay, I stop here first, I have more trouble, f.e. with the firestarter. ;-)
> Hope, you have some suggestions.

It's hard for people on this list to support firestarter as it's not really
part of edubuntu -- it's packaged in universe.  Do you really need a
firewall on your thin client server?  You will probably need to set up
special rules to keep your thin clients working through a firewall, or not
firewall the thin client interface at all.