bootup of the thin client

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sun Feb 24 21:09:39 GMT 2008

Hi,

I have a setup of 32 thin clients running off of one Dual Xeon with 4GB
RAM. I had this running on Feisty, and then I upgraded to Gutsy.
However, I did not upgrade the thin client to Gutsy, so I had the old
thin client running. The one problem I had with the thin client from the
Feisty setup was the boot up cycle was long. It would get stuck for over
30 seconds on something and all I would see is a blinking cursor. So, I
bit the bullet and upgraded to a new image (ltsp-build-client).

It works well, but the thin client still hangs for a long time on
something and all I see is a blinking cursor. Is there any way to see
what's holding up the boot process on the thin client side? I've used
bootchart (http://www.bootchart.org/) before, but the list of
dependencies is long. Any ideas or suggestions?

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
San Francisco State University