creating fat 'thin' clients with ltsp

David Van Assche dvanassche at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 17:29:47 GMT 2008

forwarded from private conversation in case there is interest:

Ok,
   so after pointing out some of my syntatic errors in the wiki, I made some
changes, namely, adding 2 lines in the nfs mount part (because currently all
the RCFILENN= get executed BEFORE many of the vital startup functions, like
portmap and nfs-mount)... which brings me to a fully working chroot... the
other issue was that gdm needs the right permissions... for some reason it
cannot be started from any old user by default, which is sort of irrelevant
for the startup sequence since it's started from root... but I had to create
another RCFILENN= with a call to startup gdm, since it refuses to startup
from the regular scripts. A terrible hack, but it works!

   Anyway, the result is, I get a wonderful gdm login screen with a
selection list of all my ldap users (much nicer than regular ltsp) with
FULLY working flash, java, sound usb sticks and other local devices... it
even loads faster than regular ltsp... but maybe thats on my fatted up
clients and the fact its xfce...

Anyway, I've updated the wiki which is here:
http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPFatClients

David