Edubuntu AMD64 Server with i386 Clients Install Problem (7.04 Won't Instal, 7.10 Installs, But Client Gets Connect Error)

operationsengineer1 at yahoo.com operationsengineer1 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 18:18:09 GMT 2008

hi
all,

i tried to install
edubuntu 7.04 since 7.10 wasn't playing nice with my amd64 server and my i386
clients (see prior mailing list posts for details).

however, 7.04 failed
installation with the following error:

----- error message
begin ----

Unable to install
the selected kernel

An error was
returned while trying to install the kernel into the target
system

Kernel package:
'linux-generic'

Check
/var/log/syslog or see virtual console 4 for the details

----- error
message end ----

i tried to install
again and i got a menu of kernels to load, so i also tried to load the
linux-image-amd64-generic kernel with the same result.

Does anyone have any
ideas how I can proceed here given that 7.10 won't let the clients connect and
7.04 won't install at all?

tia...