moving HD with 32bit Feisty from 64 bit motherboard to 32 bit motherboard

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 21:24:29 GMT 2008

Hi,

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Charles Austin wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2008 1:57 PM, Krsnendu dasa <krsnendu108 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Now I want to try two things simultaneously:
> > 1. Reinstall Edubuntu on the 64bit server using 32bit Gutsy
> > 2. Take one hard drive from the raid one and trying it on another
> > machine which is AMD 2500XP 32 bit machine.

Is this software RAID1 or hardware RAID1?  If it's software, you need to
make sure GRUB is installed and configured into both disks' MBRs (which is
not done by default).  If it's hardware RAID, you may need to use the disk
with the same disk controller.

> > Is this possible or will the system not handle changing from quad core
> > 64bit system to 32bit single core?
> In my experience, unless the hardware platforms are EXACTLY the same,
> this will not work.  Too many drivers are loaded and configured during
> the OS install that are specific to the hardware present at the time.
> Granted, Kudzu will try to detect and install new drivers for new
> devices, but I don't think it will be able to handle a wholesale swap
> of your hardware environment.

I haven't tried it, but my instinct would be to disagree.  In terms of
hardware support, I'd suggest:

1. Ethernet -- shouldn't be a problem, though device numbers might swap, eg
	eth1 for eth0
2. Video -- might not work but you can fix it with
	dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
   in any case, you shouldn't need X running on a thin client server
3. Sound -- probably should autodetect, but again, you shouldn't need it on
   a thin client server
4. Disk controller -- the most likely problem.  If the initramfs doesn't
   support your disk controller, booting will probably fail.  If this fails
   though, you won't have lost anything -- just pop it back in the existing
   machine.

> > I want to do both simaltaneously so that
> > a. current users can keep working as before, while I set up the upgraded server.
> > b. I can confirm that it is the hardware on the current machine that
> > is causing the problem
> >
> Why not do a clean install on the new hardware?

I guess that wouldn't be a fair comparison so if it works he won't know if
his hardware was bad or his config was.

> > Is it possible to transplant the system HD or will the system not
> > handle changing from quad core 64bit system to 32bit single core?
> Again, it is more than changing from a 64 bit system to a 32 bit.  It
> sounds like all of the hardware (Hard Drive controllers, video card,
> etc) will be different as well.  These present just as much of a
> challenge.

I think it's worth a try.  Moving from running 32-bit on an amd64 machine
to a regular 32-bit shouldn't be a big deal.

That being said, I think Charles suggestion of debugging the problem on the
current hardware is worth trying first.