creating fat 'thin' clients with ltsp

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Feb 14 21:51:18 GMT 2008

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 15:52:04 -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 20:53:51 +0100, David Van Assche wrote
> > Did you mount /proc and /sys?
> >
> > those errors seem to indicate you didn't. You must mount them in the chroot
> > or the dependency issues go crazy :-)
> >
> > And yes, I did do the minimal xfce install first. But that should be
> > irrelevant, there should be no breakage as long as you mount the necessary
> > mount points. And don't forget to unmount when you are done. Trying to build
> > the client with proc and sys mounted in the chroot will not be pretty.
> >
> > David
>
> I did the following:
> sudo ltsp-build-client --base /opt/ltsp --chroot lf_i386 --prompt-rootpass
>
> sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/lf_i386 mount /proc -t proc proc
>
> sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/lf_i386 mount /sys -t sysfs sys
>
> sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/lf_i386
>
> apt-get install edubuntu-desktop
>
> So the difference here is I didn't run the commands to install edubuntu-
> desktop from outside the chroot, could this be the problem?  I'll wipe it out
> and try from outside. I was thinking that by chrooting in I would get more
> run  with -f and the dpkg --configure a bunch of times.
>
> I'll post back the results.

Well, same errors with running "sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/lf_i386 apt-get install
edubuntu-desktop".

So I'll try now with the minimal install first, then move forward.

I still hope I didn't hose my server by forgetting to unmount /proc and /sys before.

Thanks,
Jim